The information on this page can help you to find some of the benefits you may be entitled to depending on your circumstances, how to calculate your own benefit and ways to navigate some of the more difficult aspects of the benefits system and avoid getting into benefit trouble.

Benefit rates

Current benefit and tax credits rates for 2018/2019 (pdf 73kb) by Lasa
Last year's benefit and tax credit rates for 2017/2018 (pdf  269kb) by Lasa

What benefits can I receive? I am -


You may be entitled to...

Caring for someone

You may be entitled to...

Responsible for a child

You may be entitled to...


You may be entitled to...

Incapable of work

You may be entitled to...

Managing on a low income

You may be entitled to...

See also the information sheet about benefits in work below

Struggling to pay housing costs (rent or mortgage)

You may be entitled to...

An older person - of pension age

You may be entitled to...


You may be entitled to...

Unemployed and looking for work?

You may be entitled to...

Short term and one-off needs

As well as the above weekly benefits, the DWP and jobcentre also provide single payments in certain situations, for example:

  • Budgeting loans, funeral and maternity grants from the Social Fund by the DWP. 
  • Repayable 'short term benefit advances' for those waiting for a benefit payment and in financial need.
  • Under Universal Credit 'budgeting advances' replace budgeting loans and 'advance payments' replace short term benefit advances. See our page on Universal Credit for more details.

For more information about help with short term and one-off needs by the Council, charities and others, see our page on Managing your money

Online benefit calculators

Visit our page that describes the online benefits calculators and at a glance guides to get an estimate of the benefits, including Universal Credit, tax credits or pension that you may be able to claim.

Other help you may be entitled to

You may be entitled to help with health care costs such as prescriptions, dental care and eye tests. You can find out more on NHS Choices.

If you have mobility or accessibility issues you may be able to get your home adapted. Find out about home adaptations.

If you are disabled you may be able to apply for a blue badge. Apply for a blue badge.

How will the changes to the benefits system affect me

The government is implementing some major national changes to the benefits system. The changes will affect those who are claiming benefits for children, older people, unemployment, income support, housing, council tax help, or disabilities and ill health. Find out more about the benefit changes.

Dealing with benefit problems

Self help factsheets and guides:

Introduction to Benefits and Tax Credits.Our guide to the benefit system October 2017 (pdf,673kb)

I need information on how redundancy can affect benefits

If your job finishes due to redundancy or a voluntary severance scheme you may need to claim social security benefits. Payments you get from your employer in these situations may affect benefits. Find out more by downloading the factsheet redundancy, finishing work and benefits (pdf, 394kb)

What benefits can I get whilst in work?

If you are working, there are different benefits and other help you may be entitled to. For more details download the benefits in work sheet October 2016 (pdf, 268kb)

How can I avoid a benefit sanction?

Your Jobseekers Allowance, Universal Credit, Employment and Support Allowance or Income Support may be cut if you do not comply with work related requirements for those benefits. Newcastle City Council and Jobcentre Plus have produced this leaflet: benefit sanctions and how to avoid them October 2018 (pdf, 399kb). You can also see the Government factsheet: Jobseeker's allowance sanctions: how to keep your benefit payment and their web site: Universal Credit toolkit for partners

Where can I go for further advice?

Visit the page: Benefit advice services in Newcastle and benefit offices

Page last updated: 
15 October 2018
1 Start 2 Complete
Was this page useful?