Charges for 2019-2020
Who decides what you pay?
What kind of changes would affect the amount you pay?
What you should do if your circumstances change?
Help with paying your council tax bill

Every year the council assesses its budget and plans what needs to be spent on the services we provide for you. When that is decided - at the end of February - we calculate how much council tax we need to help us fund the work.

Not all council services are funded by council tax, in fact only around 20% of a council budget comes from council tax. We get money from the Government, from European funds and other grants. When the tax is calculated we send out bills to everyone who has to pay, based on their circumstances at the time.

Council tax is based on the property you live in and the Government's Listing Officer of the Valuation Office Agency (see below for more information). It is put into one of eight 'valuation bands' based on property values set on 1 April 1991. At present those bands and values in England are:

  • Band A ... up to £40,000
  • Band B ... £40,001 to £52,000
  • Band C ... £52,001 to £68,000
  • Band D ... £68,001 to £88,000
  • Band E ... £88,001 to £120,000
  • Band F ... £120,001 to £160,000
  • Band G ... £160,001 to £320,000
  • Band H ... £320,001 and above

Your bill shows you which band applies to your home.

Charges for 2019-2020

Charges for the City as a whole

Band City Adult Social Care Precept Police Fire Total
              £                £   £    £     £
A 1,017.83   77.75   89.55      54.89    1,240.02
B 1,187.47   90.70 104.48    64.03    1,446.68
C 1,357.11 103.66 119.40    73.18    1,653.35
D 1,526.75 116.62 134.33    82.33    1,860.03
E 1,866.03 142.54 164.18  100.63    2,273.38
F 2,205.31 168.45 194.03  118.92    2,686.71
G 2,544.58 194.37 223.88  137.22    3,100.05
H 3,053.50 233.24 268.66  164.66    3,720.06

In addition the following charges apply in the parish areas.

Parish Charges

Band Brunswick Dinnington Hazlerigg N.Fenham & Blakelaw North Gosforth Woolsington
  £ £ £ £    £   £
A 12.57 13.43 19.55 14.09   3.85   4.45
B 14.67 15.67 22.81 16.44   4.50   5.20
C 16.76 17.91 26.07 18.79   5.14   5.94
D 18.86 20.15 29.33 21.14   5.78   6.68
E 23.05 24.63 35.85 25.84   7.06   8.16
F 27.24 29.11 42.37 30.54   8.35   9.65
G 31.43 33.58 48.88 35.23   9.63 11.13
H 37.72 40.30 58.66 42.28 11.56 13.36

Council tax information booklet

Who decides what you pay?

The Listing Officer and Valuation Officer of the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) are responsible for compiling and maintaining the Council Tax Valuation List and Local Rating List. The VOA is part of the Inland Revenue.

You can look up the Council Tax Valuation Band of any domestic property on the Valuation Office Agency website, as well as find out much more about valuations and council tax.
If you consider that your home should be in a lower band you can appeal to:

Valuation Office Agency Listing Officer
Manchester Valuation Office
53 Portland Street
M1 3LD

Phone 0300 050 1501 - when calling, please make sure you make it clear you are calling about council tax banding.

You can also appeal direct from their website.

More information about Valuation Appeals.

If you do decide to appeal you must continue to pay your council tax. If your home is put into a new band you will get a refund if we owe you any money.

What kind of changes would affect the amount you pay?

Your bill could change if:

  • The number of adults living in the property changes. This could affect the amount of discount you receive, or who the bill should be sent to.
  • The property becomes empty - there may be nothing to pay.
  • Your income changes - this may affect your entitlement to Council Tax Reduction.

To find out more about this see Council Tax reliefs and exemptions.

What you should do if your circumstances change?

When your council tax bill was calculated it was based on your circumstances at the time, for example, the number of people in the property, or if you were receiving benefit based on your income etc. If anything changes, including if you move house, the amount you pay may change and we have to send you a new bill.

This new charge will happen from the day your circumstances changed, not the start of the next billing year.

If you are the person whose name is on the bill, you are legally required to tell us of any changes you think may affect your council tax bill as soon as possible.
Any delay in telling us could lead to difficulty, for example:

  • If your bill goes up and you don't tell us straight away, you might find it hard to pay any backdated tax you owe us when it is finally worked out.
  • If your bill should be reduced, because, for example, your income has dropped, you might have problems paying the same amount as before.
Page last updated: 
7 March 2019
Was this page useful?