Personal discounts

The full council tax bill assumes that there are two adults over 18 living in a dwelling (as their main home). If only one adult lives in a dwelling, a 25% discount will apply and the council tax bill will be reduced by a quarter.

Single person discount

If you are the only adult in your property you get a 25% discount on your council tax. This discount does not apply if the house is empty or if it is not your sole/main residence. To apply you will need to fill in a Single Person Discount form. If you have become the sole adult in your property as a result of another person moving out, we need a forwarding address for that person to process your discount.

From time to time we review entitlement to Single Person Discount and you may receive a review form. You must ensure you return this even if there has been no change to your circumstances. If you take more than 21 days to tell us of a change in your circumstances, we may impose a penalty of up to £70.

People not counted for discount 

For the purposes of deciding whether a discount applies, the following people are not counted:

  • People caring for someone who is not a spouse, partner or child under the age of 18
  • People who normally live in the property but are currently in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of council tax or a fine)
  • People who are severely mentally impaired
  • Full-time students (including Project 2000 nurses)
  • Apprentices or Training Credits Programme Trainees
  • People who are under the age of 20 who have left school or college after 30 April (not counted until 1 November of that year)
  • Members of religious communities (monks and nuns)
  • People aged 18 for whom child benefit is still payable
  • Student nurses
  • People employed to provide care (e.g. through an agency such as CSV)
  • People staying in certain hostels and night shelters
  • Members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
  • Diplomats, persons who have diplomatic immunity and certain members of their household
  • Patients resident in a Hospital, Nursing or Care Home
  • Spouses of foreign students
  • Foreign language assistants

The above groups are stated in broad terms. Within each of the groups, a number of conditions may need to be met before the disregard is satisfied.

Working out whether you qualify for a discount

To find out if a discount may apply to your home, you should count the number of adults living there who are not in the above list. If you are left with two or more people, there will be no discount. If there is one person, your bill may be reduced by a quarter. If you are left with no one, you may get your bill reduced by half.

Unoccupied property discounts

  • Class A - Furnished Holiday Let - 0% Reduction
  • Class B - Furnished and unoccupied properties, including second homes - 0% Reduction
  • Class C - Unfurnished and unoccupied - 100% Reduction for one month only followed by 0% Reduction. There must be a period of occupancy for six weeks between awards of Class C discount. This could mean that the discount has already been claimed by the previous liable person. If a property remains unfurnished and unoccupied for more than two years there will be an additional 50% premium.
  • Class D - Dwellings requiring structural alterations or major repairs - 0% Reduction
  • Class E - Main residence of armed services serving personnel - 50% Reduction (Some restrictions apply)
  • Class F - An annex being used by a person living in the main residence as part of their main home - 50% Reduction
  • Unoccupied second properties where liable person occupies employment tied accommodation - 50% Reduction 

How to claim

If you disagree with the council's decision about a discount, you can contact us explaining what you object to and why. If your bill indicates that a discount has been allowed, you must inform us of any change of circumstances that affects your entitlement. If you fail to do so, you may have to pay a penalty.

Council tax hardship scheme

Council tax hardship awards are included in Section 13A Local Government Finance Act 1992 as amended by Local Government Act 2003, section 76.

Page last updated: 
20 June 2018
Was this page useful?