If you are receiving Housing Benefit or Universal Credit Housing Costs and you are still having difficulty paying your rent, we may be able to help you further.

Discretionary Housing Payments

A discretionary housing payment (DHP) could help top-up your housing benefit or universal credit housing costs if you are facing hardship.

These are separate payments made at the council's discretion in cases where it considers that extra help with housing costs is needed. Full more information please refer to our Discretionary Housing Payment Scheme (243KB)

Apply for DHP using the online DHP Application form.

Newcastle Debt Advice

Newcastle's debt advice team provides free advice and information about the different options and support available.

Please visit our Debt Advice webpage for further information.

Direct payments to landlords

Normally we will pay Local Housing Allowance to you. But in some cases we can pay Local Housing Allowance to your landlord on your behalf, for example where you are likely to have difficulty in relation to the management of your financial affairs.

Download a Direct Payment Application form (pdf, 53Kb)

Contact Us

To contact us about benefits, please visit our benefit contact page.

Page last updated: 
2 February 2018
1 Start 2 Complete
Was this page useful?