Promoting opportunity in tough times
This time last year, the City Council published Newcastle – a Working City (pdf, 1.68Mb), seeking comments on our plans to strengthen the role of Council in building a more prosperous City. Over 150 people attended consultation events or gave feedback.
Key messages included the need for the Council to:
- provide leadership, support and co-ordination in the search for new opportunities
- promote investment in the skills that are needed by employers
- modernise our transport, housing, broadband and business infrastructure
- welcome and support investors and innovators, including by maintaining the attractiveness of our City as a place to live and invest
- ensure that local people and communities are able to take advantage of new opportunities
- expand the scale, diversity and affordability of housing, helping more families secure the housing they need, and bringing wider economic benefits to the city.
- work in partnership across the north east, forging new alliances to take on more responsibility for the region’s economic future.
Newcastle - a working city, promoting opportunity in tough times (pdf, 2.5Mb) describes our approach. It sets out how we will shape our city to foster successful business and enterprise, secure investment and generate jobs, promoting a low carbon economy and meeting the employment, skills and housing needs of a growing and ageing population.