Healthwatch Newcastle is the new independent consumer champion for health and social care services in Newcastle, as part of the Government's health and social care reforms. Newcastle residents seeking advice can ring their freephone number on 0808 1789282.
Healthwatch Newcastle will take on the existing work of the Newcastle Local Involvement Network (LINk) and also:
- Have the power to make recommendations in relation to children’s social care services as well as adult social care services.
- Have a statutory place on the local Health and Wellbeing Board for the first time.
- Provide a new signposting, advice and information service across adult’s and children’s social care as well as the health care system.
- Have a statutory remit to collate evidence in relation to service shortfalls and issues, reporting on these nationally and ensuring that regulators, other arms length bodies and government departments respond accordingly.
- Report concerns about the quality of health and social care services to Healthwatch England, which can then recommend that the Care Quality Commission take action.
The new service will provide signposting, information and advice about health services and adult and children’s social care services in Newcastle so that people can make informed decisions about services that best meet their needs.