Essential upgrade to improve payment system. From 1pm on Wednesday 24 September we will be unable to take card payments on the website, over the phone (including the automated payment line) and at our Customer Service Centres. We hope this work will be complete by Thursday 25 September. Find out more about this essential upgrade.
Pay Dispute Strike Action - Thursday 10 July 2014
- 07 July 2014The council’s major trade unions (Unison, GMB and Unite) have announced their intention to strike on Thursday 10 July 2014 over the current Local Government pay offer.
In addition, the NUT will also be taking strike action on this date as well as the Fire Brigade Union.
Because of the relatively high trade union membership across the City Council, we can expect a large percentage of our workforce to be on strike. This action will inevitably cause considerable disruption to services, with a number of public buildings and schools closed to the public.
The following is a list of council services that are likely to be disrupted by the strike:
Refuse Collection and Cleansing
- There will be no domestic (green bin), recycling (blue bin) or garden (brown bin) waste collections on Thursday 10 July.
- Whatever type of bin that was due to be collected on Thursday July 10 will be collected on Thursday July 24.
- Residents are asked not to put excess waste or recycling out next to their bin.
- No other collection days will be affected.
- Excess waste can be taken to the household waste recycling centres on days other than the Thursday 10 July. All household waste recycling centres will be closed on Thursday.
- The bulky article collections service will be suspended on the day of the strike.
- Street cleansing and grounds maintenance will also be significantly disrupted on the day with litter bins not emptied and grass cutting impacted.
- All Libraries will be closed to the public.
- The City Library remaining open for staff wishing to attend work on the day.
- The majority of the council’s car parks are expected to be open.
Markets and Civic Premises
- The Grainger Market will be closed.
- Gosforth Civic Hall and the Tourist Information Centre will be closed.
- Blackfriars, 1 and 5 Charlotte Square and 4 Old Eldon Square will be open for business as usual.
- Business Enterprise Centres will be open to tenants but will not be staffed.
- Shieldfield will be closed except for health service access.
- The Civic Centre will remain open for staff wishing to work but access will be restricted.
- The Mansion House will remain open.
Registrars and bereavements
- The Registrar’s service will be closed.
- There will be no funerals taking place on 10 July and the cemeteries and crematorium will remain closed.
Revenues, Benefits and Exchequer Services
- These services will be closed to the public.
Leisure Centres and City Hall
- Leisure Centres (apart from those recently transferred to NCL) will be closed. Newburn Activity Centre will remain open.
- The City Hall will be closed to the public.
Customer Service Centres
- All Customer Service Centres will be closed.
- The Contact Centre will be closed.
Adult Care Services
- All Resource Centres, Cherry Tree View and Residential Care facilities will remain open, apart from Welford Day Centre.
- Care at Home will be based out of Allendale Road premises.
- All Children’s Residential Care including; Cheviot View, Philipson Street, Slatyford Lane, Iona Place will remain operational.
- The YOT facility in College Street will remain operational with emergency cover only.
- All Community Nurseries will be closed with the exception of Montagu Nursery.
- The following Sure Start Centres are due to be open: Cowgate and Blakelaw, Fenham and North Fenham, Byker East, Ouseburn, Lemington and Armstrong whilst the following are scheduled to be closed: Walkergate, North Moor, Northern Villages, Denton, Newbiggin Hall, Newburn and Westgate.
- Rothbury Terrace, Newington Road. Allendale Road, Condercum Road will be open with restricted access.
- Leazes Lane will be closed.
- Sandhills will be open.
- The Great North Museum will be open to staff and the public with all other sites closed to the public.
- A full list of school closures is available at the bottom of this page. They are listed alphabetically under 'closed' first and 'partially closed' second. If your school is not listed on this page please assume that it is open. The list is being constantly updated so please check back for updates closer to the strike day.
A large trade union rally is scheduled to take place on Thursday 10 July starting at approximately 11am from the City Hall area and proceeding to the Laing Art Gallery.
Nexus and the Tyne Tunnel remain unaffected by the strike.
In the case of an emergency:
In advance of Thursday 10 July we will provide phone numbers for our key services should you need to contact us in an emergency.
- For Children’s Services - 0191 277 2500
- For Adult Services Social Care - 0191 278 8377
- For Adult Services Care at Home - 0191 278 2898
- For Envirocall and Emergency Housing Repairs - 0191 278 7878
- For Emergency Homelessness Team - 0191 277 1711
- Archibald First School
- Benton Park Primary
- Broadwood Primary
- Canning Street Primary
- Central Walker C of E Primary
- Cheviot Primary
- Chillingham Road
- Christ Church C of E Primary
- Gosforth Park First
- Hawthorn Primary
- Heaton Manor
- Hotspur Primary
- Kenton Bar Primary
- Kingston Park Primary
- Knop Law Primary
- Lemington Riverside Primary
- Linhope PRU
- Monkchester Nursery
- Moorside Community Primary
- Mountfield Primary
- Newburn Manor Nursery
- Newburn Manor Primary
- Ravenswood Primary
- Sacred Heart Primary
- St Alban's RC Primary
- St Bede's RC Primary
- St Cuthberts RC Primary Kenton
- St Cuthberts RC Walbottle
- St George's RC Primary
- St John Vianney RC Primary
- St John's Primary School
- St Lawrence RC Primary
- St Mark's RC Primary
- St Oswald's RC Primary
- St Vincent RC Primary
- Stocksfield Avenue Primary
- Throckley Primary
- Trinity Oakfield
- Trinity Deneview
- Tyneview Primary
- Walbottle Campus
- Walker Technology College
- Walkergate Early Years Centre
- Walkergate Primary
- Waverley Primary
- West Jesmond Primary
- West Walker Primary
- Westerhope Primary
- Westgate Hill Primary
- Wingrove Primary
- Wyndham Primary
- Bridgewater - Closed to Y3, Y5 and ARC unit. Open to all other classes.
- Brunton First School - Closed to Class 1RG. Open to all other classes.
- Cragside Primary - Open to both Reception classes, Y2HH, Y3JW, Y4TD, Y4MD, Y5AM, Y6LH and Y6LW.
- Open to Y2 and Nursery. All other classes closed.
- Farne Primary - Open to Reception, Y1, Y2, Y3 and Y6. Closed to all other classes.
- Grange First - Closed to classes Y1 and Y2. Open to all other classes.
- Kenton School to Year 7, 10 and 12. Closed to all other Year Groups.
- South Gosforth First - Closed to Y3. Open to all other classes.
- St Catherine's RC Primary - Open to Reception, Y1, Y2, Y3 and Y4. Closed to all other classes.
- St Charles' RC Primary - Closed to Y3 and Reception. Open to all other classes.
- St Mary's RC School - Closed to Year 7, Year 8, Year 9 and Year 10. Open to Sixth Form and all staff.
- St Theresa's Catholic Primary - Open to Year 1. Closed to all other classes.
- Thomas Bewick Primary - Closed to Thomas Bewick nursery at Walkergate EYC, Reception 1, Class 7, Class 10 and Class 11.
- Welbeck Primary - Open only to Year 5 and Year 6. Closed to ARCH, Reception, Year 1, Year 2, Year 3 and Year 4.