Help prevent illegal money lending
Do you want your community to get a share of £3000 which will help tackle illegal money lending in Elswick or Benwell and Scotswood?
This money has been taken from loan sharks, and we think it should be spent on addressing the problems of illegal money lending.
The Illegal Money Lending team can provide funding of up to £500 for one-off projects that:
- Promote legal, affordable credit options to prevent people from using loan sharks
- Encourage good budgeting to stop people from using loan sharks
- Prevent crime and disorder related to loan sharks
- Contribute to raising awareness of the dangers of using loan sharks
Examples of work being done elsewhere include:
- A film made by young people, which is now on You Tube
- Kit sponsorship for a local children's football team
- An adult writing competition with prizes for the best loan shark story
- Designing an advert/programme about loan sharks for community radio
- A competition to design a "stoploansharks" banner in a school
- Financial management and warnings about illegal money lenders to refugee communities
- Credit Union Incentive Scheme – to offer incentives to people who save with the Credit Union
This money needs to target illegal money lending, not legal but high cost lending, and applications need to be received by midday 18 January 2013. Successful applicants will present their projects at an interactive voting event to be held in February 2013. Further information about this event will be shared soon.
Note that grants cannot be made for staffing costs, or to fund existing work.
To ensure that a number of projects can be funded you can apply for up to a maximum of £500 per project. You can submit more than one project but the total per group submission must not exceed £750.
For information, or to submit your ideas visit http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/sites/drupalncc.newcastle.gov.uk/files/wwwfileroot/content/u_decide_application_form.doc or contact: firstname.lastname@example.org