Exhibition Park is situated in the Wingrove Ward of the city on Claremont Road and like its neighbouring park a short walk from the City Centre . It is like the nearby Brandling Park a formal city Park but larger and more facilitated.
There are two croquet lawns and new members are welcome please email Bill Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org
There is a weekly childrens' cycling club run by Gosforth Go Ride, the youth section of the long-established Gosforth Road Club. Hour long sessions - majoring on fun and skills rather than speed - will be held in Exhibition Park, meeting at the cafe at 9.30am on Saturday mornings during term time. Gosforth Go Ride has British Cycling qualified coaches and is suitable for children aged 6 to 16. Sessions cost £2 per child per session or £1 for members. http://www.gosforthroadclub.com/
There are two tennis courts and one basketball court.
A fenced playground with safety surface, equipment consists of swings, slides, climbing units, spring toys and seating (note all equipment is inspected regularly and is inspected annually by an independent expert)
Refreshments are available at the park café during spring and summer months between 9am and 5pm.
The Military Vehicle Museum is currently closed.
Model Railway - The Tyneside Society of Model & Experimental Engineers run a miniature railway in the park, the track is situated behind the museum. Members meet on Wednesdays and Sundays. Visitors are always welcome. For more information please see our website www.tsmee.co.uk or e mail Linda Nicholls at email@example.com."
This has been developed at the main entrance to Exhibition Park. For further information contact Adam Greenwold on 0191 2783092 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The nearest bus stops are located on Claremont Road.
The nearest metro stations are Haymarket and Monument.
There is a taxi rank at Park Terrace, near the Park entrance.
There is a metered public car park very close to the park entrance on Claremont Road.
There are several events in the park during the summer months. Take a look at our events page.
If you require further information relating to the park, please contact Helen Raper, Parks and Countryside Service on phone number 0191 2783092 or email email@example.com
The 1870 Town moor improvement Act determined that 2 x 35 acres of land to be developed for recreational purposes - one at the near by Leazes area and one at the Town moor. Plans were drawn up and an estimated cost approved. Plans were submitted in 1881 and an agreed sum of £2,000 was to be spread over a two-year period.
In 1886 the Mayor of Newcastle requested the use of the Bull Park to hold the Royal Jubilee Exhibition in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria’s 50th year on the throne. The Bull Park was where the City’s bull was penned for stud. The site was the wedge of land at the corner of Claremont Road and the Great North Road. Later this land was cleared to build the Hancock Museum. The organising committee realised that the Bull Park was too small for the Exhibition and further requested Town moor recreation ground. This is where the current park is now.
The Royal Jubilee Exhibition was duly held in 1887 and proved a tremendous success and attracted two million (2,000,000) visitors
The name Exhibition Park was first used during the Jubilee Exhibition of 1887 but the old name of Bull Park persisted for some time.
The only remaining item from the 1887 Exhibition is the bandstand and all other temporary buildings and structures were removed and the grounds reinstated.
This exhibition was held at the Exhibition Park from May to October 1929 and was opened by H R H the Prince of Wales on 14th May 1929 to 50,000 spectators. It was a symbol of pride and industrial success of the region and at the same time an advertisement for local industry and commerce. The military museum is the only building still remaining in the park today from this exhibition.
Statistics from the Exhibition
Although the great depression was underway around the world, The Exhibitors felt that taking part in 1929 event had resulted in increased interest in their products and services, if not orders. It remains in folk memory of Tyneside as one of the most enjoyable events in regional history.
Many will remember this event which was run by council officers and attempted to capture many of the elements of the earlier exhibitions, however, it was last held in 1986 when a £60,000 loss was recorded.
Page last updated: 5 July, 2012