Essential upgrade to improve payment system. From 1pm on Wednesday 24 September we will be unable to take card payments on the website, over the phone (including the automated payment line) and at our Customer Service Centres. We hope this work will be complete by Thursday 25 September. Find out more about this essential upgrade.
Nexus and the Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Authority have a concessionary travel scheme for disabled people and older people in Newcastle.
- Chronically sick and disabled and suffering from any disability which permenantly and seriously impairs their ability to walk; or
- Permanantly blind and unable to perform any duties for which sight is required; or
- Assessed as having severe learning disabilities; or
- Registered as profoundly deaf, with or without speech; or
- Registered as partially sighted (where disability can be assessed by a Consultant Opthamologist); or
- Without the use of both arms, whether through the absence of limnbs or otherwise; or
- Unable to drive having had a driving licence refused or revoked on medical grounds.
If you over 60 you should contact Nexus to apply for a concessionary travel pass.
If you think you are eligible for concessionary travel on the grounds of disability please complete the application form and return it to the address below. You can download the application form here: Concessionary travel pass for disabled people (pdf 388.5 kb)
Adult and Culture Services Directorate
Support Services (Commissioning)
4-8 Clarence Walk
Newcastle upon Tyne
Phone: 0191 278 8100
Fax: 0191 278 8188
Textphone: 0191 278 8266
- Your application will be assessed and we may have to contact your doctor (GP) for confirmation of your disability
- If you have written evidence that can support your application such as a letter from your consultant, GP or statement of special needs please send it with your application form. We will return all supporting documents to you.
- It may take some weeks to assess your application.
- If your application is approved you will be sent a letter of confirmation along with details about how to collect your permit.
- If your application is refused you will be sent notification in writing.
For more information go to the Nexus website or pick up a leaflet at a Nexus travel centre.
Newcastle Older People's website Information NOW can help you find out about where to go for advice and support and what services and activities are available for older people in Newcastle.