Provides quiet relief for those needing a break from the hustle and bustle of suburban life. With its attractive avenues of lime trees, ornamental flower and rose beds, and large areas of grass lawns the park is well Gosforth Central Parkused.

The large number of facilities and occasional events make this a very popular park.  The Park is managed to a high standard and has been awarded a Green Flag for the last three years. 

Facilities in the Park

Click here for accessibility information about Gosforth Central Park from DisabledGo.

Bowling Greens

There are two bowling greens with a womens and a men's club. Both greens are open to the general public.

All Weather Sports

Two tennis courts and a basketball court which were refurbished in 2004.

Playground

A fenced play area which was refurbished in 2005.  The site has lots of new and exciting equipment in place, together with new seating, paths and surfacing.

A full time Park Keeper is based in the Park. He is responsible for the care and upkeep of the park and he liaises with users of the park.

General Information

Local Facilities

Nearest public toilets: Shopping Centre

Nearest public telephone: St Nicholas Avenue

Who to Contact

General Park Enquiries: Phone 0191 2783087

General Enquiries: Phone 0191 2783089

Other Information

The park has many park seats and picnic tables. There are three public notice boards and lights along some paths.

Go to Top

Transport and Parking

Buses

The nearest bus stops are located on Gosforth High Street and Church Road where there are very frequent services.

Metro

The nearest metro stations are South Gosforth and Regent Centre.

Parking

There is a metered public rooftop car park on Gosforth Shopping Centre, a metered public car park between St Nicholas Avenue and Roseworth Terrace, and a further metered car park at the corner of Gosforth High Street and Salters Road.  Street parking on Moor Road North is very limited. We would urge people not to travel by car to the park if at all possible.

Cycling

The park is easily reached by bike and lies on a cycle route from the City Centre to Regent Centre.

Events in the Park

Service of Remembrance

The annual Remembrance Sunday Service takes place at the War Memorial on the Sunday nearest to the 11th November each year.

Go to Top

Music Festival

The first free festival in recent years was held in the park on Saturday 5th August 2000. The festival is now an annual event and has proved to be a great success. In the past up to 3000 people have attended creating a general party atmosphere. Activities include performance by local bands, computer gym, disc jockey workshop, face painting, bouncy castles, children’s rides, community stalls and sports coaching.

Gosforth Central Park User Group

The Group exists to support the Local Authority in the day to day management and longer-term development of the Park. The inaugural meeting took place 16 February 1993 at the suggestion of a local resident.

The Group membership includes representatives of the users of the Park's facilities, residents, the Police and the Local Authority.

The Group meets regularly in the New Bowls Pavilion in the Park - meeting dates are advertised in advance on the park notice-boards. Within the constraints of its budgets, the Local Authority has demonstrated its willingness to respond to User Group suggestions.

If you are interested in the care of the Park, its use and future improvements, please come along and have your say. For more information on the Park or meeting dates contact Peter Scott on 0191 2116213 or e-mail peter.scott@newcastle.gov.uk

General History

The park is situated north of the City in the East Gosforth Ward and lies between Moor Road North and Church Road. At a cost of £10,000 Central Park was created in 1932 out of seven acres of land previously occupied by Sanderson Nursery. This is still remembered by the little lane running north from Gosforth Shopping Centre towards Church Road known as Garden Street.

The Park was opened to the public by the Chairman of the Gosforth Urban District Council (UDC) on the 6th August 1932. The south Bowling Green was laid out and opened by Mrs Blenkinsop, wife of the UDC Chairman on the 15th June 1934.

Later in 1934 more land belonging to the Roman Catholic authorities Green Flag Award Logowhich adjoined the park was acquired. Maxwell Hart Limited, of Manchester was awarded a contract to lay an additional north Bowling Green for £680. Play area facilities were available from the 1st May 1937.

 

Page last updated: 15 April, 2014